In this recipe I marinated the chicken in a citrus marinade for 24 hours. The marinade keeps the chicken breast extremely moist and tasty. This is a very low fat meal as I use chicken breast and a very little amount if oil to saute the vegetables.
1 Medium, cut into thin bite-size strips (boneless, skinless)
1 Large, juiced (FOR MARINADE)
1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), chopped finely (FOR MARINADE)
2 Medium, chopped (FOR MARINADE)
1 Medium, seeded, chopped (FOR MARINADE)
3 Clove (15 gm), coarsely chopped (FOR MARINADE)
1⁄2 Large, sliced
1 Medium, sliced thinly (varied colours)
1 Small, diced
Corn tortillas/Flour tortillas
7 Tablespoon, divided (Marinade + cooking)
1. Clean and cut the chicken into thin bite size strips.
2. In a small bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice. Whisk till combined.
3. Put scallions, cilantro, jalapeno and salt. Mix well.
4. Transfer the chicken pieces into a zip lock plastic bag. Pour the marinade into it.
5. Shake well to mix all. Seal and refrigerate for minimum of 30 minutes (longer marinating will enhance the taste).
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. In a pan, heat olive oil. Put the onions, bell peppers and sauté for few minutes.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a few minutes till they are tender.
9. Transfer them into a bowl and wipe the pan.
10. Add more oil. Heat it and put the marinated chicken pieces.
11. Cook till the chicken is done on both sides. Remove the excess fat and liquid rendered. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
12. Return the vegetables into the pan and cook for a few minutes.
13. Wrap the tortillas in the aluminium foil and heat it for few minutes.
14. In a serving plate, place 2 tortillas. Spoon the fajita and serve hot with sour cream garnished with cilantro and guacamole and salsa on the side if desired.