Tamale pie is a delicious Tex-Mex casserole with beef and a beautiful masa harina crust. You can use fine cornmeal instead of the masa harina if you would prefer.
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Large , chopped finely|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) , minced|
|Chipotle peppers in adobo||2 Medium , chopped finely|
|Green bell pepper||1 Small , chopped finely|
|Tomaotes||3 Medium , peeled, chopped|
|Yellow corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||4 1/2 Cup (72 tbs) (FOR MEAT TOPPING)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (FOR MEAT TOPPING)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon (FOR TOPPING)|
|Masa harina/Fine cornmeal||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) (FOR TOPPING)|
|Egg||1 Large (FOR TOPPING)|
|Sour cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (FOR TOPPING)|
|Cheddar cheese||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (FOR TOPPING)|
1. Prepare the ingredients as per the list.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Heat some oil in a skillet and brown the beef. Drain it in a metal colander inside a bowl.
4. Wipe down the skillet and add more oil. Put the onion and cook for about 8 minutes or until soft, translucent and starting to brown.
5. Add the garlic and chipotle and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
6. Place the bell pepper and tomatoes. Stew the tomatoes for about 5 minutes.
7. Return the beef to the skillet and add the corn.
8. Pour the tomato paste and water. Mix.
9. Add the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
10. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
11. Remove cooked meat from skillet and place in a casserole dish.
12. FOR TOPPING: In a pot or preferably a heavy one, pour the water.
13. Add the salt and chili powder. Mix.
14. Slowly add the masa harina whisking well every time. Cook for about 4 minutes until it resembles a thick batter.
15. In another bowl lightly beat the egg. Add the sour cream and whisk well.
16. Slowly incorporate 1 cup of the hot masa harine in order to temper the egg. Mix well and pour into the pot with the remaining masa.
17. Add cheese if using.
18. Pour the mixture on top of the meat.
19. Place the casserole dish into the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until meat is bubbly and masa is completely cooked through.
20. Remove from oven and allow sitting for about 10 minutes.
21. On a serving plate, slice and serve hot.
Calories 405Calories from Fat 239
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 9 g45%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 640 mg26.67%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 17 g34%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3240Calories from Fat 1912
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 216 g332%
Saturated Fat 72 g360%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5120 mg213.36%
Total Carbohydrates 224 g74.4%
Dietary Fiber 32 g128%
Sugars 48 g
Protein 136 g272%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet