Mache is also known as lamb lettuce, corn lettuce, Swiss lettuce and field lettuce. It is very delicate in taste and grows in little clusters with short stems. It goes wonderfully with avocados, mushrooms, sprouts and red onion. Go ahead and replace the honey in this recipe for agave and keep it vegan!
2 Small, peeled
2 Medium, chopped
1 Teaspoon, grated
Vegetable oil/Canola oil
Mache/Baby spinach leaves
4 Cup (64 tbs), washed
1 Tablespoon, toasted, rubbed with garlic
2 Tablespoon, sprouted
Ripe avocado/1/2 large
1 Small, diced
1. Separate the orange wedges, making sure you have no white on them. Place the oranges in a sieve, over a bowl to render juice.
2. Prepare the other ingredients as per the list.
3. To the bowl with orange juice, add the scallions, ginger, honey, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Mix well. Slowly whisk in the oils. Set aside.
4. In a bowl mix together the mache, alfalfa sprouts and sesame seeds. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss well.
5. Place the orange segments and the avocado in the bowl. Toss carefully so as not to mash the avocado or the oranges.
6. In a serving plate, serve the salad fresh.