Chicken Tortilla Soup
|Chicken||3 Pound, cleaned and whole (FOR STOCK)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, peeled (FOR STOCK)|
|Celery stalks||3 Medium (FOR STOCK)|
|Bell pepper||1 Small, seeded and halved (FOR STOCK)|
|Scallions||4 Medium (FOR STOCK)|
|Chilli pepper||1 Medium, seeded and halved (FOR STOCK)|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs) (FOR STOCK)|
|White onion||1 Large, chopped (FOR SOUP)|
|Oil||1 Dash (FOR SOUP)|
|Chipotle chiles in adobo||3 Medium, chopped (FOR SOUP)|
|Ground cumin||1 Tablespoon (FOR SOUP)|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon (FOR SOUP)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon (FOR SOUP)|
|Tomatoes||6 Large, chopped (FOR SOUP)|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs) (FOR SOUP)|
|Frozen corn||2 Cup (32 tbs) (FOR SOUP)|
|Garlic||10 Clove (50 gm) (6- STOCK, 4- SOUP)|
|Avocado||1 Small, diced (FOR GARNISHING)|
1. FOR STOCK: In a large pot, place all the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
2. Skim off any foam that might be rendered. Reduce heat and simmer for about 90 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Cool stock down. Discard all vegetables.
4. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Discard the skin and bones. Set aside. Skim off any fat from cold stock.
5. FOR SOUP: Prepare all the ingredients according to the list.
6. Take a large pot and pour some oil. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
7. Put 4 garlic cloves chopped and chipotles and cook for another 2 minutes. Mix well.
8. Make a well in the middle and add a little more oil. Add the cumin and oregano. Mix well. Cook for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
9. Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for another 3 minutes.
10. Put chopped tomatoes, mix well, and cook for about 15 minutes (If desired, blend tomatoes after they have cooked. This is an optional step.)
11. Pour the chicken stock into the tomato base. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
12. Add the corn and the shredded chicken.
13. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
14. Take a serving bowl, ladle soup into it.
15. Garnish it with grated white cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped scallion greens, diced avocado, tortillas chips and lime as desired and serve hot.
Calories 1103 Calories from Fat 449
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g77.1%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g65.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 242.3 mg80.8%
Sodium 1129.9 mg47.1%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 11.9 g47.6%
Sugars 24.7 g
Protein 90 g179.9%
Vitamin A 172% Vitamin C 136.9%
Calcium 20.3% Iron 41%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet