Aztec Chocolate Cake Chocolate Sauce and Caramel Sauce
|Bittersweet chocolate||4 Ounce, melted and cooled (for cake)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce, at room temperature (for cake + 3 Ounce for caramel sauce)|
|Powdered sugar||5 Ounce (for cake)|
|Egg yolks||6 Large (for cake)|
|Egg whites||6 Large (for cake)|
|Granulated sugar||24 Ounce (for caramel sauce + 8 Ounce for chocolate sauce)|
|Heavy cream||13 Ounce (for caramel sauce)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch (for caramel sauce)|
|Cocoa powder||4 Ounce (for chocolate sauce)|
|Water||8 Ounce (for chocolate sauce)|
|Dark chocolate||2 Ounce, chopped (for chocolate sauce)|
|Red cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon, ground (for chocolate sauce)|
1) Aztec Chocolate Cake : Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan and line with a small square piece of parchment paper.
3) Wipe out the electric mixer bowl as well as the whip attachment with a paper towel dampened with vinegar.
4) In the mixer bowl, place the egg whites with the granulated sugar and begin whipping. Continue whipping until they reach medium to stiff peaks. Remove from the mixer and transfer to another bowl.
5) In the electric mixer bowl, beat the butter with the paddle attachment for about 1 minute until smooth. On low speed, beat in the powdered sugar then cream at medium-high speed for about 2 minutes until light in color and texture.
6) Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until just incorporated, scraping in between additions if necessary. Once all the yolks are added, beat in the chocolate and vanilla.
7) Fold the egg whites into the chocolate batter in 2 to 3 additions. Then fold in the all purpose flour.
8) Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes until the cake tests done. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, remove from cake pan, then allow to cool completely.
9) Caramel Sauce : In a pot, stir the sugar with water and the cream of tartar. Cover the pot with the lid and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 1 minute then remove the lid.
10) Cook on stove until the sugar is caramelized (brown in color).
11) Remove from heat, add the heavy cream and then add the butter.
12) Allow to cool to room temperature (70°F) while stirring occasionally and then store refrigerated for up to 10 days.
13) Aztec Chocolate Sauce : In a medium pot, stir the water and sugar and bring to a boil.
14) Meanwhile, in a metal bowl, sift the cocoa powder and set aside.
15) Temper cocoa powder and bring to a second boil. When it has boiled remove from stove immediately.
16) Incorporate the chocolate and strain into a bowl. Whisk in the red cayenne pepper. Cover with a plastic wrap (be sure it touches the top) and allow to cool completely to room temperature.
17) Sprinkle the Aztec Chocolate Cake with powdered sugar, if desired, slice and serve with the Caramel Sauce and Aztec Chocolate Sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6780 Calories from Fat 2807
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 320 g492.8%
Saturated Fat 191.7 g958.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 1863.8 mg621.3%
Sodium 536.3 mg22.3%
Total Carbohydrates 1012 g337.4%
Dietary Fiber 49.7 g198.7%
Sugars 910.5 g
Protein 72 g144.2%
Vitamin A 233.2% Vitamin C 10.1%
Calcium 62.2% Iron 150.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet