Jennifer Cervantes and her daughters make "Nana's" tortillas. These warm treats play a key role in Jennifer's magical middle-grade novel, Tortilla Sun.
All purpose flour
4 Cup (64 tbs)
1 1⁄2 Teaspoon
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), warm
1. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients first.
2. Cut the lard into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients.
3. Add warm water and mix using hands; knead until the mixture turns into smooth dough.
4. Wrap the dough in butter paper or towel and let it sit for 10 minutes before rolling.
5. Pinch the dough for small portions and roll them with hands to form smooth balls.
6. On a clean surface, roll the balls into circles.
7. On a heated pan, place the rolled tortillas one at a time and let it bubble.
8. Use a pair of tongs to flip it over and let it cook for 7-8 seconds only.
9. Place your favorite filling in hot tortillas, wrap and enjoy.