Part 1 - Carne Asada Tacos with Cactus (Nopales) Salad and Watermelon Mojito (Cooking with Carolyn)
|For the carne asada|
|Flap steak||1 Pound|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|For the marinade|
|All purpose seasoning||2 Tablespoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the tortillas|
|Corn tortillas||16 Small (8 regular size)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For greasing)|
|For the cactus salsa|
|Red raddish||1 Cup (16 tbs), slice|
|Tomatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), dice|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chop|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Habenero pepper||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Cilantro||3 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Nopales||1 Bottle (1 l), rinsed|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|For the watermelon mojito|
|Watermelon juice||16 Ounce|
|Limes||1 Small, quartered|
|Fresh mint leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Simple syrup||4 Tablespoon|
|Bacardi white rum||8 Ounce (Bacardi Watermelon Rum)|
1. In a large bowl pour the lemon and lime juice over the flap steak add the Grand Diamond All Purpose Seasoning, olive oil. Once done massage all of the ingredients together coat the meat with the marinade.
2. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. In the meantime finely chop the red onion, habanero chili, cilantro and garlic, keep it aside.
4. Dice the tomatoes and keep it in a large bowl, slice the red radish and keep it in a bowl until needed.
5. After an hour remove from the refrigerator and let it the steak to come to room temperature.
6. Preheat a cast iron grill pan, over medium-high to high heat. Shake off the excess marinade before placing the steak on the hot grill.
7. Sear each side for approximately 2 to 3 minutes or to the desired doneness.
8. Once done, remove and let it rest for 5 minutes.
9. Combine the red onion, cilantro, habanero chili, garlic to the diced tomatoes, add some kosher salt
10. Rinse the nopales under hot water and leave it in the strainer to drain the excess water.
11. Roughly chop the nopales and add it to the diced tomatoes mixture, mix all the ingredients well.
12. Squeeze the lemon and lime juice, and keep the cactus salsa in the refrigerator until needed.
13. Warm the tortillas in a separate pan, coat it with slight olive oil.
14. Once the tortillas are warmed up keep it on the serving plate.
15. Cut the steak into small pieces and place a small amount on each set of tortillas and top with Cactus (Nopales) Salsa.
16. Garnish with sliced red radish.
17. Serve the carne asada tacos hot along with watermelon mojito.
FOR THE WATERMELON MOJITO
1. Cut the watermelon into small pieces and blend it in the high spend blender.
2. Blend for 2 minutes and strain the watermelon juice with the help of a strainer.
3. Take a glass and squeeze the lime juice and add fresh mint leaves and pond the lime and mint leaves.
4. Pour the simple syrup adds the ice cubes and drizzle watermelon rum.
5. Stir and serve chilled.
6. Serve the watermelon mojito along with your carne asada tacos.
High speed blender