Part 1- Chicken Pozole (Cooking with Carolyn)
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Chicken breasts||4 , halves (skin-on and bone-in)|
|All purpose seasoning||2 Tablespoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Low sodium chicken broth||2 Quart|
|Red chile sauce||28 Ounce|
|Red chile sauce||19 Ounce|
|Hominy||58 Ounce, rinsed (drained)|
|For the garnishes|
|Cabbage||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
|Cilantro||3 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Radishes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), slice|
|Lime wedges||1 Small|
|Dried mexican oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Tortilla chips||1 Ounce|
|For the homemade chili sauce|
|Dried chillies||500 Gram, soaked (El baravo, chilies guajillos)|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs), boil|
FOR THE CHICKEN POZOLE
1. Remove the skin from the chicken breast and season it well on all sides with Grand Diamond All Purpose Seasoning.
2. Shred the cabbage, chop the cilantro, slice the radish and keep it aside separately.
3. In a large stock pot pour olive oil and let it heat up for 4-5 minutes and then place the chicken breast in it, sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are brown.
4. Once done remove the chicken and add the chicken broth and Chile sauce to the pot. Bring it to a boil for 10 minutes and then reduce the flame and let it simmer for 1 hour.
5. In the meantime rinse the hominy with water and drain the excess water
6. After 1 hour, remove the chicken from the stock on a plate and remove the skin and the bones and shred the meat and place it back to the simmering pot and then add the rinsed hominy, stir and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes.
7. Serve hot. Garnish each bowl with fresh cabbage, cilantro, radish slices, a squeeze of lime, and a sprinkle of oregano and lastly the crunchy tortillas.
FOR THE HOMEMADE CHILI SAUCE
1. Remove the stalk from the chili and empty out the seeds in a plate.
2. Keep the cleaned chili in a large bowl.
3. Boil some hot water and once the water is hot pour it over the chili and let it soak in the water for 30-40 minutes.
4. After half an hour drain the water but do not throw it reserve the water and keep it aside.
5. Place the chili in the high speed blender add garlic and salt and some of the reserved water.
6. Blend it until you get a smooth sauce adds some reserved water if too dry.
7. Once done strain the chili sauce using a strainer, transfer it in a bowl and freeze it and then transfer it in a plastic bag and store.
High speed blender
Calories 853 Calories from Fat 379
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g65.1%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.9 mg16.6%
Sodium 3417.5 mg142.4%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.4%
Dietary Fiber 29.9 g119.7%
Sugars 30.3 g
Protein 35 g70.9%
Vitamin A 452.2% Vitamin C 54.7%
Calcium 13.6% Iron 44.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet