I smoked three pompanos with BBQrsDelight Savory Herb smoke pellets. The fish was spiced with sea salt ,fresh cracked black pepper, & key limes... The salsita was made of pineapple, purple onion, cilantro, lime juice & habanerro peppers... These taco-chalupas ROCKED!!!!
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
Cracked black pepper
1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)
3 Teaspoon (or use an olive oil spray)
Hot chili pepper
2 Medium (habaneros)
For the pineapple salsa
1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into small cubes
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped
5 Teaspoon, tough stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped or shredded
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
1. Wash and clean the fish. Place them on a grilling tray
2. Using a sharp tipped knife, make two deep gashes over the length of each fish.
3. Squeeze lime juice over the fish to wash off the saltiness of the fish.
4. Season the fish with salt and pepper and rub or spray with olive oil.
5. Turn the fish and repeat steps 2-4.
6. Through the habaneros onto the tray along with the fish.
7. Fire up a charcoal barbecue grill with BBQrsDelight Savory Herb smoke pellets.
8. Cut the pineapple into small pieces and finely chop the red onion and fresh cilantro, keep everything in a small bowl.
9. Place the tray with the fish on the grill.
10. Shut the lid and let the fish smoke. Keep a close eye on them.
11. Flip the fish over and cook the other side until the fish flakes easily.
12. When done, allow to cool.
13. Mix the pineapple, onion, cilantro, lime juice in a bowl. Chop up the smoked habaneros and mix into the salsa.
14. Heat up the tortillas on a pan over the grill until nicely warmed up and crisp. You can flip them into a half shell and cook them to make tacos if you like
15. Flake the smoked fish into chunks.
16. Top the tostadas with the fish chunks and a bit of the spicy pineapple salsa.
17. Fold into half and enjoy!
Instead of deep-frying the fish for fish chalupas or tacos, smoke grill the fish. Inspired by the Mexican favorite, these grilled pompano chalupas have wonderful salty smoky flavor spiked with lime juice, and a spicy zesty harbanero pineapple salsa. These are perfect for a summer beach party or a camping trip!