How To Make Mole Sauce
|Ancho chili||6 Medium|
|Guajillo chili||6 Medium|
|Arbol chili||6 Medium|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|White onion||1 Medium, quartered|
|Plum tomato||3 Medium|
|Cinnamon sticks||1 Small|
|Anise seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable shortening/Lard||1 Tablespoon|
|Raw almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raw peanuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Corn tortilla||1 Small|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Drinking chocolate powder/Bittersweet chocolate||5 1⁄2 Ounce (Mexican drinking chocolate)|
1. Peel and slice the onions into quarters.
2. Discard the seeds from the dry red chili, place it on a skillet and toast them until the start to blister.
3. Once done remove and place it in a bowl, set aside.
4. In the same skillet add the raisins and cook for 3 minutes until puffed.
5. Add it to the bowl of chilies, pour boiling water and weigh it down with a plate and leave it soaking for 30 minutes.
6. In the same pan dry roast the garlic and onions, cook until they are charred and once done remove and set aside and when garlic is cool enough, peel it.
7. Add the tomatoes to the skillet, dry roast them as well until they start to blister, once done set it aside.
8. Add the sesame seeds, anise, coriander and cinnamon to the pan. Toast for a couple of minutes until fragrant, stirring constantly.
9. Place the spices in a mortar or coffee-grinder with the cloves and turn into a powder.
10. Add the shortening to the pan and add the almonds, walnuts and peanuts, toast them and transfer them in a bowl.
11. Fry tortilla in the same pan along with the shortening, until crisp.
12. Place the hydrated chilies and raisins in a blender with ½ a cup of soaking liquid. Blend well.
13. Transfer to a sieve and strain into a bowl. Rinse the blender and add all of the other ingredients including the tortilla, except the chocolate, and blend.
14. Pass through a sieve into the same bowl where the chilies are. Mix sauce well.
15. Transfer the sauce in a large pot and simmer it for 20 minutes.
16. Add the chocolate and stir until melted, simmer for additional 15-20 minutes.
17. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
18. Serve the sauce along with any chicken dish.
You can keep this sauce for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Mortar or coffee grinder
Sieve or strainer