|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Diced tomatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Green pepper||1 , chopped|
|Tomato puree||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Corn grits||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated cheese/Soy cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (as per choice, one that melts well)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sliced olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cooked beans||4 Cup (64 tbs) (preferably kidney, Lima or black turtle)|
|Romano cheese||4 Tablespoon|
1. In a skillet warm olive oil.
2. Add onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes till they are soft.
3. Add tomato puree, chili powder, pepper, tomatoes, olives and salt. Sommer 10 minutes.
4. Combine beans. Simmer 10 minutes.
5. To prepare the crust boil water.
6. Add cornmeal and corn grits. Stir well.
7. Whisk so that there are no lumps. Mix Romano and olive oil.
8. Simmer 10 minutes. Keep stirring so that the ingredients do not stick.
9. Add olive oil to grease a 2-quart casserole.
10. Spoon cornmeal crust while reserving 1-1/2 cups as toppings.
11. Spread filling on the crust and add the remaining cornmeal in the top section.
12. Add grated cheese.
13. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Stand 10 minutes further.
14. Serve Tamale Pie immediately.