Gourmet Beef Empanadas
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground beef||3⁄4 Pound|
|Tomato||1 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Canned chopped green chiles||4 Ounce, undrained (1 can)|
|Chopped seedless raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ice water||5 Tablespoon|
1) In large non-stick pan, heat butter in saute onion until tender.
2) Mix in the beef; saute until no longer red.
3) Stir in the tomatoes, chiles, raisins and 1 teaspoon salt.
4) Lower the heat, stirring occasionally for 20 to 25 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
5) Take the pan off the heat.
6) In a bowl, place together flour and salt.
7) Using pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup shortening until well blended.
8) Dredge with ice water; stirring with fork until mixture holds together.
9) Shape the dough into a ball.
10) Lightly dust the work surface with flour.
11) Portion pastry into 12 pieces, on the work surface roll each piece into a 5-inch round.
12) Stuff about 1/4 cup filling on one-half of each round.
13) Fold over other half and press edges together with finger to seal; press edges with tines of fork.
14) In deep, heavy saucepan or wok, slowly heat oil to 375F on deep-frying thermometer.
15) Slowly drop beef pies, few at a time, into hot oil.
16) Cook until golden-brown on both sides -€” 3 to 4 minutes.
17) Remove the pie using perforated ladle and place on paper towels.
18) Serve hot, dredged lightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Calories 546 Calories from Fat 326
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.4%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g62.1%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 50.8 mg16.9%
Sodium 751.5 mg31.3%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 15 g29.3%
Vitamin A 52.5% Vitamin C 29.8%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 15.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet