|Dried kidney beans||16 Ounce, sorted & washed (1 package)|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs), divided|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Bulgur or cracked)|
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Canned tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 can)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried whole basil||1 Teaspoon|
1) Take a large size Dutch oven and place beans with 3 cups water in it. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes.
2) Remove from heat and cover. Let soak for about 1 hour.
3) Add the remaining 4 cups water and bring the mixture to a boil.
4) Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about 1 hour. Set aside.
5) Bring tomato juice to a boil and pour over bulgur.
6) Stir nicely and set aside.
7) Take a medium size Dutch oven and coat with cooking spray. Place over medium heat until it becomes hot.
8) Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion becomes tender.
9) Stir in all the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
10) Add the bulgur mixture and the vegetable mixture.
11) Cook until mixture becomes thoroughly heated.
12) Pour gravy in bowls and serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
Calories 239 Calories from Fat 10
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g1.9%
Saturated Fat 0.19 g0.94%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 128.7 mg5.4%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.2%
Dietary Fiber 10 g40.2%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 53.3% Vitamin C 43.6%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 24.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet