Mexican Bean Pot
|Dried kidney beans/4 cups cooked or canned||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced or crushed|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet pickle juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (from spiced fruit)|
|Strong coffee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven at(350°)
2. To prepare the beans cover it with 6 cups water, boil 2 minutes and soak for 1 hour or overnight.
3. In pan fry bacon in fat until half cooked and drain fat to make 4 tablespoon.
4. Add fat to beans (fat keeps beans from foaming) and simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
5. Drain beans and combine with other ingredients except bacon, coffee and sliced onion.
6. Place in 1 1/2 qt casserole.
7. Bake in moderate preheated oven for 1 hour.
8. Pour coffee over beans.
9. Garnish top with bacon and onion slices.
10. Bake in hot oven (400°) about 20 minutes, until bacon is crisp and serve.
Calories 346 Calories from Fat 102
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.8%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11.8 mg3.9%
Sodium 1239.5 mg51.6%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g15.8%
Dietary Fiber 10 g39.9%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 15 g29.8%
Vitamin A 6.4% Vitamin C 7.9%
Calcium 6% Iron 24.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet