Mexican Bean Pot
|Dried kidney beans/4 cups cooked or canned||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced or crushed|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet pickle juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (from spiced fruit)|
|Strong coffee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven at(350°)
2. To prepare the beans cover it with 6 cups water, boil 2 minutes and soak for 1 hour or overnight.
3. In pan fry bacon in fat until half cooked and drain fat to make 4 tablespoon.
4. Add fat to beans (fat keeps beans from foaming) and simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
5. Drain beans and combine with other ingredients except bacon, coffee and sliced onion.
6. Place in 1 1/2 qt casserole.
7. Bake in moderate preheated oven for 1 hour.
8. Pour coffee over beans.
9. Garnish top with bacon and onion slices.
10. Bake in hot oven (400°) about 20 minutes, until bacon is crisp and serve.