Mexican Chilli With Spicy Rice
|Long grain rice||8 Ounce|
|Sunflower oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 Large, crushed|
|Lean beef||8 Ounce, minced|
|Button mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot chili powder||1 1⁄2 Pinch (1 Large Pinch)|
|Tomato with chili||8 Ounce|
|Taco sauce||1 Can (10 oz) (Packaged)|
|Canned chopped tomatoes||7 Ounce|
|Canned black eyed peas/Canned kidney beans||7 Ounce, drained, rinsed|
|Red chilli||1 Large, halved, deseeded and sliced|
|Courgette||1 Small, diced|
|Frozen sweetcorn kernels||2 Ounce|
|Fresh coriander||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm), roughly chopped (A Small Bunch)|
|Soured cream||4 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a saucepan, add rice with plenty of boiling salted water and cook for about 10 minutes until nearly tender.
2. In a frying pan, heat half the oil, add 2/3rd onions, stirring to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add crushed garlic and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds.
3. Add beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, add mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the cumin and a little of the chilli powder, taco sauce, tomatoes and beans and bring to the boil.
5. Squeeze the juice out of the lime and stir into the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. In another frying pan, heat the rest of the oil and add the remaining onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring. Add the sliced chilli, stirring to coat, and continue to cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes. Add a sprinkling of the chilli powder to taste.
7. Add diced courgette, drained rice and sweet corn. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the rice is tender and the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Onto warmed serving plates, spoon the rice.
10. Spoon the chilli mixture into the middle of the rice, add a swirl of soured cream and sprinkle the coriander on top. Serve at once.