Mexican Chili Beans
Water- 6 cups
Smoked Ham Hocks- 1 pound
Salt- 2 teaspoons
Garlic- 2 cloves
Cinnamon- 1/4 teaspoon
Cloves- 1/8 teaspoon
Dry Mustard- 1 tablespoon
Chili Powder- 1 tablespoon
Vinegar- 2 tablespoons
Tomato Sauce- 1 8-ounce can
Strong Black Coffee- 1/2 cup
Onion- 1no., chopped fine
Cheddar Cheese- 4 ounces, shredded
1) In a slow cooker, soak beans in water overnight.
2) Do not drain the water.
3) Put the lid on and cook over high heat for 2 to 3 hours.
4) Strain the beans, reserving the liquid.
5) Return the beans to the slow cooker, along with ham hocks, salt, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, mustard, chilli powder, vinegar, tomato sauce, and coffee.
6) Pour in enough of reserved liquid to slightly cover the beans.
7) Put the lid on and simmer for 10 to 12 hours.
8) Take the ham out from the beans mixture.
9) Chop the ham and put it back in the beans mixture.
10) Add the onions before last 10 minutes of cooking.
11) Heat for 10 minutes or until heated through.
12) Serve hot, each portion dredged with cheese.