Homemade Tortilla Chips
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Yellow corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (to fry)|
|Popcorn salt||To Taste (to sprinkle)|
1. In a bowl mix together flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
2. Add shortening, egg, water and work up to form stiff dough. Allow to rest.
3. Knead for about 5 minutes and divide into 4.
4. Roll each part into a 10-inch square, about 1/8th inch thickness.
5. In a deep fat fryer heat oil to about 375 degrees Fahrenheit and add rolled tortilla one at a time.
6. Cook on both sides, turning once, until slightly golden brown.
7. Store or break in each tortilla in to 4 to 5 pieces, sprinkle popcorn salt and serve.
Calories 2600 Calories from Fat 1647
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 187 g287%
Saturated Fat 25.7 g128.4%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg35.2%
Sodium 859.5 mg35.8%
Total Carbohydrates 207 g69.2%
Dietary Fiber 11 g43.9%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 29 g58.1%
Vitamin A 2.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 78.3% Iron 72.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet