Mexican Chicken Pot Pie
|Low fat cream cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken breast||4 , boneless, skinless and halved|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Plum tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz), drained, with liquid reserved|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Sweet green pepper||1 , diced|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Red kidney beans||1 Can (10 oz), drained, rinsed|
|Fresh corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|1% low fat milk||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large bowl, place cream cheese and margarine, using a wooden spatula beat until blended.
2. Add flour to the bowl with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut the mixture until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Now, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, lightly mixing until the dough holds together. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
4. In a saucepan, add stock, chicken breast, plum tomatoes liquid and cook until tender. Remove cooked chicken onto a plate.
5. Shred chicken into bite-size pieces, and continue to simmer stock 10 to 12 minutes more, until reduced to about 1 cup.
6. Ina separate bowl, blend cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth and add into hot stock mixture, stir and remove from the heat.
7. In a large skillet, heat oil, add onion, garlic, sweet pepper, chili powder and sautÃ©. Add in the tomatoes, reduced chicken stock mixture and simmer together for about 5 minutes and remove from heat and add in the chicken, kidney beans, corn and seasoning.
8. Into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish pour the mixtures.
9. Now, roll the prepared dough and cover the baking dish, brush with milk.
10. In a preheated oven, bake the pie at 225 degrees centigrade for about 60 minutes, until crust is golden.
11. Serve hot.