|Dry pinto beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed, soaked overnight|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Canned whole kernel corn||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Canned green chili peppers||4 Ounce, rinsed, seeded, and chopped (1 Can)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Cheddar cheese/Monterey jack cheese||8 Ounce, cubed (2 Cups)|
1. In a saucepan combine beans and the water and bring the mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat; cover; let stand 1 hour but do not drain.
3. In a large saucepan combine together pinto beans with liquid, un-drained corn, tomato sauce, onion, chopped chili peppers, chili powder, salt, oregano, garlic, and bay leaf; bring the mixture to boil
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf.
6. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls.
7. Sprinkle each serving with cheese cubes and serve immediately.
Calories 537 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.9%
Saturated Fat 12.3 g61.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 59.5 mg19.8%
Sodium 1016.8 mg42.4%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g19.9%
Dietary Fiber 14.9 g59.7%
Sugars 16.8 g
Protein 29 g57.2%
Vitamin A 47.7% Vitamin C 59.6%
Calcium 53.7% Iron 29%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet