Mexican Tamale Pie
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Ground chuck||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Tomato sauce||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Tomato paste||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Instant minced onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Chili seasoning mix||1 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Red kidney beans||1 Can (10 oz), drained|
|Vaccum packed whole kernel corn with sweet peppers||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Pitted black olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Pitted black olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), halved|
|Cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
1) Get the cornmeal ready a day in advance. for this, take a 4-quart saucepan, add 4 cups of water & 1 tsp of salt and boil. Let the water come to a rolling boil. Slowly add in the cornmeal, while stirring constantly. Stir till the mixture becomes thick.
2) Turn down the heat on the saucepan. Cook the cornmeal uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the parmesan cheese. Transfer the mixture into a greased 13X9X2-inch baking dish. Let rest for 20 minutes. Cover and refrigerate the dish overnight.
3) Next day, preheat the oven to 375F.
4) In a large skillet, heat oil. Add in the garlic and saute till soft but not brown. Take the garlic out from the skillet.
5) Add in the ground chuck. Saute till the raw colour disappears. Drain off the extra fat.
6) Add in tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Mix all well.
7) Add in the remaining garlic, minced onion, chilli-seasoning mix, salt, sugar, kidney beans, corn and chopped olives. Mix all well. Cook on medium flame, without a lid on. Keep stirring till the mixture heats up evenly.
8) Slice the set cornmeal mixture into 24 squares.
9) Transfer the meat mixture into a 3-quart casserole. Place 12 cornmeal squares around the inside edge of the casserole.
10) Arrange the remaining squares overlapping the ones below. Place the halved black olives over the meat. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
11) Bake the dish uncovered for about 30 minutes, till the cheese starts to bubble and melt.
12) Serve the Mexican Tamale Pie hot, with a spicy dipping sauce on the side.