Chili Con Kasha
|Lean ground beef||8 Ounce|
|Onion||1 Large, minced|
|Green pepper||1 , diced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Buckwheat groats||1 Cup (16 tbs), roasted (Kasha)|
|Stewed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Preferably Non Fat)|
|Chopped scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a nonstick frying pan brown the beef over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
2. Drain off any accumulated fat and pat the beef with a paper towel to absorb any remaining fat.
3. In the same pan, sautÃ© the onions, peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
4. Add the buckwheat, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chili powder.
5. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the Buckwheat is tender.
6. In a serving platter, arrange the buckwheat neatly and garnish with scallions.
7. Serve with the yogurt on the side.
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.5%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.8 mg13.3%
Sodium 410.5 mg17.1%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g26.7%
Sugars 23.4 g
Protein 19 g38.2%
Vitamin A 46.6% Vitamin C 113.5%
Calcium 24.1% Iron 26.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet