Mexican Chicken Soup
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped white onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped carrots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Brown rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cubed carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled|
|Chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Cubed potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boneless chicken breasts||1 , cubed|
|Ear of corn||3|
|Fresh salsa||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Ripe avocados||1 , cubed (For Garnish)|
1. In a large soup pot placed on low heat, heat olive oil. SautÃ© onions, carrots, celery, and tomatoes for 3 minutes.
2. Add rice along with spices, stock, and salt. Cover and allow the mixture to come to boil.
3. Lower the heat, and covered, simmer for about 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the soup. In a large sautÃ© pan having olive oil, cook onions, carrots, and celery on low heat until limp.
5. Mix in potatoes along with stock, salt, and bay leaf. Allow the mixture to come to boil.
6. Lower the heat, and covered, simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add chicken and cook for 15 more minutes.
8. Mix in corn. Cook for 5 minutes more.
9. Take 6 warm soup bowls. Add 2 tablespoon cooked rice in each followed by 1 ½ cups soup. Add ½ a corn ear. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon avocado and 2 tablespoons salsa. Serve immediately.
Calories 724 Calories from Fat 194
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.3%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.2 mg8.7%
Sodium 2066.7 mg86.1%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.3%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51.1%
Sugars 18.9 g
Protein 27 g53.9%
Vitamin A 171.9% Vitamin C 61.7%
Calcium 11.2% Iron 22.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet