Mexican Cauliflower in Cheese Sauce
|Cauliflower||2 Pound (1 Head)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed through a press|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mild cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, shredded (1 Cup)|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hickory smoked bacon slices||6 , cut into 1/4-inch squares|
|Almonds||2 Tablespoon, sliced, blanched|
1) Remove about 1/2 inch stem and leaves from the bottom of the cauliflower.
2) In a large saucepan, place the cauliflower head.
3) Pour in enough cold water to cover the cauliflower head.
4) Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
5) Place the saucepan over high heat and bring the water to a boil.
6) Slightly reduce the heat to boil until the cauliflower is just tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes after the water comes to a boil.
7) Let the cauliflower cool to room temperature in the water.
8) In another medium saucepan, add vegetable oil and heat up over low heat.
9) Add garlic and wait for 1 minute after the garlic begins to sizzle.
10) Add the cream and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Boil gently for 5 minutes.
11) Stir in the cheese and immediately remove from the heat.
12) Pour in sour cream and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
13) In a bowl, transfer the sauce and cover the surface with wax paper. Allow to cool to room temperature.
14) In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
15) In a serving dish, place the cauliflower head in upright position. Spread the cheese sauce all over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the reserved bacon and the almonds to serve.
To serve chilled, pour the cheese sauce into a bowl just large enough to hold the head of cauliflower. Invert the head of cauliflower in the sauce, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then transfer to a serving dish in upright position and pour the sauce over it. Garnish with the bacon and almonds.
Calories 403 Calories from Fat 300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.3%
Saturated Fat 17.1 g85.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 103.3 mg34.4%
Sodium 759.8 mg31.7%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.6%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 15 g29.2%
Vitamin A 18.4% Vitamin C 118%
Calcium 22.9% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet