Chili Con Carne
|Dried pinto beans/Red beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed and drained|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Lean beef||3 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chili powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Ground cumin seed||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a deep pot, add beans with 4 cups of water to cover.
2) Bring to a boil, and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
3) Let stand, covered, for 1 hour.
4) Then, cook the beans until tender.
5) Drain well and reserve the liquid. Keep aside.
6) In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil.
7) Into the hot oil, sear the beef cubes.
8) To the reserved bean liquid, add enough water to measure 6 cups.
9) To the meat in the skillet, add this liquid.
10) Cover and bring to a boil. Then, simmer for 1 hour.
11) Now, add the seasonings and simmer again for 30 minutes.
12) In a small bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, and cold water to form a paste.
13) Into the stew, gradually add this. Mix well.
14) Simmer for 5 minutes more.
15) To this, add beans and heat for a while to blend the flavors.
16) Transfer to deep bowls and serve hot with tortilla chips and a green salad.