Iceberg Taco Salad
|Iceberg lettuce head||1|
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use 1 Small Ones)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (1 Small Sized)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Green pepper||1 Small, finley diced|
|Green pepper||1 Small, finely diced|
|Red onion||1 Small, cut into rings|
|Avocado||1 , sliced|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
1. Pluck lettuce leaves from the head and wash them thoroughly.
2. Place them in a bowl of ice-chilled water for 30 minutes until ready to serve.
3. In a skillet, heat the oil.
4. When hot but not smoking, add the ground beef and onion.
5. SautÃ©, breaking beef lumps with back of the spoon, until meat is lightly browned.
6. Tip in the tomato sauce and sprinkle spices and salt.
7. Mix well and bring to a boil for flavors to be absorbed.
8. Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until beef is cooked and mixture is thick.
9. Drain lettuce and pat dry then tear into bite size pieces after removing the core.
10. In a bowl, combine the meat mixture, tomato wedges, pepper and onion and toss well.
11. On 2 salad plates divide the lettuce.
12. Heap the beef mixture over the lettuce.
13. Top with avocado slices and cheese.
14. Serve immediately.