Pepito Mexican Steak Sandwich
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lime||1 , freshly juiced|
|Chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco sauce||1 Dash|
|Chopped fresh cilantro leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Skirt steak||1 (1 Piece)|
|Peasant bread slice||8 (4 Inches Square And 1/2 Inch Thick)|
|Peasant bread slices||8 (4 Inches Square And 1/2 Inch Thick)|
|Refried beans||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Romaine lettuce||8 , thinly shredded crosswise|
|Romaine lettuce leaves||8 , thinly shredded crosswise|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||4 , thinly sliced|
|Avocado/Laurie's basic guacamole||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), coarsely mashed|
|Mashed avocado/Laurie's basic guacamole||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, fruit juices, garlic, cumin, chili powder, Tabasco, cilantro, salt and pepper together.
2) Cut the steak on the diagonal into 2-3 pieces. Add the steak into the marinade and coat well. Cover and allow to marinate at room temperature for 2 hours or in the refrigerator overnight.
3. Preheat a grill with hot coals.
4) Grill the steak for about 5 minutes per side. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal, cover loosely with aluminum foil and keep aside.
5) Toast the bread lightly and spread 1 tablespoon of refried beans on one side of each slice. Top each with a shredded lettuce and then tomato slices.
6) Spread each sandwich with a tablespoon of mashed avocado, place the steak slices over the sandwiches and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.