|Monterey jack cheese||1⁄4 Pound|
|Canned diced mild green chiles||2 Tablespoon, drained, rinsed|
|Flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Chili powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (New Mexico /Hot, California / Mild, Or Other Pure Variety)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 400 degrees.
2) Grate cheese in food processor or grater.
3) In a medium-size bowl mix cheese and chilies.
4) Separate mixture into 4 portions and press into a flat oval about 2 1/2 inches long and 1 inch wide. Keep aside.
5) In a food processor fitted with steel blade add 1 cup flour, cornmeal, chili powder, baking powder, sugar, salt, and vegetable shortening and blend well. Keep the machine running and add milk in a steady stream till blended to a dough. If not using processor, mix the dry ingredients in large and work in shortening with hand or fork. Add milk and knead dough to a ball. Keep the dough sticky.
6) Flour a flat surface and place dough. Pat into a 1/4-inch-thick square and cut into quarters, forming 4 small squares.
7) Place reserved cheese ovals on right half of each of the 4 squares. Bring left half of square over the right to meet the points and enclosed the filling. Crimp edges.
8) Place empanadas to ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.
9) Place empanadas to platter and sprinkle parsley on top.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1884 Calories from Fat 952
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 112 g172.5%
Saturated Fat 39.8 g199.2%
Trans Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 131.3 mg43.8%
Sodium 1864.2 mg77.7%
Total Carbohydrates 169 g56.3%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.1%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 53 g105.8%
Vitamin A 96.8% Vitamin C 58.4%
Calcium 137.6% Iron 65.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet