Chicken Empanada Appetizers
|Frozen puff pastry||17 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Chicken breast halves||5 , skinned, boned|
|Taco seasoning mix||1 1⁄4 Ounce, divided (1 Envelope)|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shredded cheese||8 Ounce (Cheddar Or Monterey Jack, 2 Cups)|
|Finely chopped ripe olives||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Canned diced green chili peppers||4 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Guacamole/Salsa/dairy sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°.
2) Thaw the pastry sheets as given in the package directions.
3) Sprinkle a fourth of the taco seasoning on the chicken breasts.
4) In a 12-inch skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil.
5) Cook the chicken until browned on both sides.
6) Add the rest of the water and the taco seasoning.
7) Lower the heat and boil.
8) Cover and allow to simmer on a medium flame for 15 minutes or until chicken becomes tender.
9) Bring out the chicken and reserve the cooking liquid.
10) In the same skillet, heat the rest of the oil and fry the onion until tender.
11) In a food processor bowl, chop the cooked meat coarsely.
12) Stir together onion, chicken, cheese, chili peppers, olives, and just enough reserved cooking liquid for moistening.
13) On a lightly floured surface, roll out a pastry keeping a thickness of 1/16-inch.
14) With a cookie cutter cut into 3-inch rounds.
15) In the center of each dough rounds, add one to two tablespoons of the filling, being careful the filling doesn’t get to edges of the pastry.
16) Use water to moisten the pastry edges and then, fold over forming a semi-circle.
17) Press the pastry edges firmly using a fork.
18) Put them on an ungreased baking sheet.
19) Prick the pastry tops using a fork.
20) Bake for around 20 minutes or until it turns golden.
21) Serve the dish hot accompanied by salsa, guacamole or sour cream.