|Dried small red beans/3 cups drained and rinsed canned red beans||8 Ounce, rinsed and picked over to remove any grit (1/2 Package)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1 Pound, chopped (3 Medium Sized)|
|Celery ribs||3 Large, cut into 1.4 inch dices to make 2 cups|
|Minced garlic||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Carrots||3 Large, finely chopped to make 2 cups|
|Packed chopped cabbage||1⁄2 Pound (2 Cups)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, finely chopped to make 2 cups|
|Red bell peppers||4 Ounce, finely chopped to make 2 cups (2 Medium Ones)|
|Green bell peppers||4 Ounce, finely chopped to make 2 cups (2 Medium Ones)|
|Chili powder||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried oregano||3 1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled (1 Tablespoon Plus 1/4 Teaspoon)|
|Whole fennel seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned whole tomatoes in juice||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Tabasco sauce/Hot pepper sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Sliced scallion||2 Tablespoon|
|Shredded mild cheddar cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. If using dried beans, put the beans in a medium bowl and add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Let soak overnight; drain. (Alternatively, place the dried beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.) Place the beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 1 hour; drain.
2. In a large nonreactive soup pot or casserole, warm the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and celery and saute until the onions are softened and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
3. Add the carrots, cabbage and mushrooms to the casserole and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the red and green peppers and cook until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Stir in the chili powder, cocoa, sugar, cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon oregano, fennel seeds, thyme, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Stir in the tomatoes (including juice), breaking them up with a spoon, along with 4 cups of water. Add the soaked dried beans and simmer overlow heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and rich tasting, about 2 hours. Remove from the heat; let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Reheat the chili over low heat. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of oregano and black pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, sherry and Tabasco sauce. Serve the chili hot, topped with sour cream, scallions and Cheddar cheese.