Classic Mexican Chicken
|Chicken||3 Pound, jointed (1.4 Kilogram)|
|Plain flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Paprika pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sunflower oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Red chili||1 , deseeded and finely chopped|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Green pepper||1 , deseeded and sliced|
|Cocoa powder||2 Teaspoon|
1. Using a knife, remove the skin from the chicken joints.
2. In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken on both sides with flour and shake off any excess if necessary.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
4. Add the onion and red chilli to the pan and gently cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Stir occasionally.
5. Stir in the cumin and oregano and cook for a further minute. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
6. Return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook for 40 minutes. Add the green pepper and cook for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken and pepper with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a serving dish.
7. Blend the cocoa powder with 1 tablespoon of warm water. Stir into the sauce, then boil rapidly until the sauce has thickened and reduced by about one third. Stir in the lime juice, honey and yogurt.
8. Pour the sauce over the chicken and pepper and garnish with the lime slices, chilli and oregano. Serve immediately with the freshly cooked rice and green salad.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3000 Calories from Fat 1501
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 167 g256.7%
Saturated Fat 46.3 g231.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 918.9 mg306.3%
Sodium 1244.4 mg51.8%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.6%
Dietary Fiber 11.5 g45.8%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 290 g580.1%
Vitamin A 70% Vitamin C 246.3%
Calcium 28% Iron 90.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet