Microwaved Arroz Con Pollo
|Chicken||4 Pound, skin removed and cut into serving pieces|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet paprika||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen peas/Artichoke hearts||10 Ounce|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Olive oil/Peanut oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flat leaf parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Thyme leaf||1 Pinch, crumbled|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), uncooked|
|Saffron||1⁄2 Teaspoon, steeped in 2 tablespoons hot water|
|Sliced pimiento||2 Ounce, drained (1 Jar)|
1. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and paprika. Cook the peas or artichokes following the manufacturer's directions for microwaving.
2. Microwave the onion and garlic in the oil in a 3- to 4-quart microwave-safe casserole, covered with a lid or heavy-duty microwave-safe plastic wrap, on Full Power for 5 minutes or until the onion is transparent. Add the chicken.
3. Microwave, covered, on Full Power for 6 to 7 minutes, turning the chicken pieces over halfway through the cooking time.
4. Add 2 1/2 cups of the tomatoes with their liquid, the chicken broth, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, rice and steeped saffron and its liquid. Cover tightly.
5. Microwave on Full Power for 10 minutes. Stir; microwave for 10 minutes more. Stir again. (If the rice seems hard, add the remaining tomatoes and their liquid.) Microwave for 10 to 15 minutes more or until the rice is tender. Stir in the peas or artichokes.
6. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables are heated through. Garnish with the pimiento.
Calories 693 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45.3%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g39.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 152 mg50.7%
Sodium 867.1 mg36.1%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.7%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 53 g105.8%
Vitamin A 42.6% Vitamin C 59.9%
Calcium 8% Iron 18.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet