Sweet And Savory Pork Empanadas
|Egg yolks||4 Large|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Cold unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Large, minced|
|Pork tenderloin||1 1⁄4 Pound, finely chopped|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Amber beer||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Paprika||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chinese chile garlic paste/Sambal oelek||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Jalapeno||1⁄2 , seeded and minced|
|Hard cooked eggs||3 , chopped|
|Kalamata olives||6 , thinly sliced|
|Golden raisins||1 Tablespoon|
1. makethe dough: In a small bowl, beat 3 of the egg yolks with the whole egg. In a large bowl, whisk the 3 1/2 cups of flour with the salt. With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it's evenly distributed in tiny flecks. Add the wine, 1/4 cup of the milk and the beaten eggs and stir until a soft dough forms. Pat the dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes, until firm.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the 1 remaining egg yolk with the remaining 1 tablespoon of milk; cover the bowl and keep the egg wash chilled.
3. make the filling: In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is browned, about 8 minutes longer.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chopped pork, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until the pork is golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Stir and cook until no pink remains, about 3 minutes longer. Stir in the browned onions, beer, soy sauce, paprika, chile paste, cumin and jalapeho and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the filling to a large bowl. Stir in the hard-cooked eggs, olives and raisins and season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat the oven to 350° Turn 1 disk of dough out onto a floured work surface and sprinkle with flour. Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into a 15-by-12-inch rectangle; discard the scraps. Cut the dough into nine 4-by-5-inch rectangles. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of filling onto one side of each rectangle. Moisten the edges with water and close the empanadas. pressing the edges to seal. Transfer the empanadas to a large rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the second disk of dough and the remaining filling. 6. Brush the empanadas with the egg wash. Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the empanadas are golden brown, then serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4821 Calories from Fat 2094
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 234 g360.1%
Saturated Fat 97.3 g486.6%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 2358.4 mg786.1%
Sodium 6930.7 mg288.8%
Total Carbohydrates 425 g141.7%
Dietary Fiber 21.2 g84.9%
Sugars 56.4 g
Protein 216 g431.6%
Vitamin A 194.9% Vitamin C 53.7%
Calcium 72.4% Iron 198.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet