Chimichangas El Charro
|Flour tortillas||6 (12 To 14 Inch)|
|Salad oil||1 1⁄2 Quart (For deep frying)|
|Firm ripe avocados||1 Pound (2 Avocadoes, 1/2 Pound Each)|
|Lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Red chili sauce/Enchilada sauce||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Shredded lettuce||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Iceberg And/Or Romaine And/Or Red Cabbage)|
|Shredded jack cheese||1⁄2 Pound (2 Cups, And/Or Cheddar Cheese)|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato salsa/Fruit salsa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Lay 1 tortilla flat. Fold 1/3 up over center. Spoon 1/6 of the filling across the doubled portion, leaving a 2-inch border at each end. Roll tortilla once, fold in ends, then roll snugly to enclose filling. Secure seam with toothpicks. Repeat to fill remaining tortillas.
2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan (at least 10 in. wide) or 14-inch wok over high heat, bring about 1 inch oil to 360°; adjust heat to maintain temperature.
3. Using a wide metal spatula, lower 1 chimichanga at a time into hot oil, filling pan without crowding. Fry until golden on all sides, turning occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes total per chimi. Transfer to a towel-lined 10- by 15-inch pan. Keep warm in a 225° oven. Repeat to fry remaining chimichangas.
4. Meanwhile, peel, pit, and thinly slice avocados. Moisten slices with lime juice. In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium heat, warm chili sauce; pour into a small bowl.
5. Line a platter or plates with lettuce. Remove toothpicks from chimis and place, seam down, on lettuce. Sprinkle chimis evenly with 1 cup cheese and garnish with avocado.
Calories 770 Calories from Fat 575
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g102.6%
Saturated Fat 17.1 g85.3%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 53.3 mg17.8%
Sodium 1621.2 mg67.5%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.3%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 14 g29%
Vitamin A 192.4% Vitamin C 51.7%
Calcium 36.2% Iron 12.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet