Green Tamale Pie
|Frozen lima beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), thawed|
|Spinach leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed, trimmed|
|Scallions||2 , trimmed and coarsely chopped|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Chili powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely chopped green bell pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Grated cheddar cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Place the beans, spinach, scallions, tomato paste, garlic and 2 teaspoons of the chili powder in a food processor or blender and process 1 to 2 minutes, or until pureed, scraping down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula as necessary. Stir in the bell pepper and corn, and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°.
3. Spray a heavy-gauge ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. (If you do not have an ovenproof skillet, wrap the handle of the skillet in a double thickness of foil.)
4. In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, combine the cornmeal, salt, remaining chili powder and 2 1/2 cups of cold water, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and spread two-thirds of the cornmeal mixture in the prepared skillet. Spoon the lima bean puree over it, top with the remaining cornmeal mixture and sprinkle the pie with cheese.
5. Bake the tamale pie 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the top is lightly browned.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1843 Calories from Fat 231
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.7%
Saturated Fat 7.4 g37%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.3 mg10.1%
Sodium 807.7 mg33.7%
Total Carbohydrates 347 g115.7%
Dietary Fiber 61.5 g246.1%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 62 g124.3%
Vitamin A 224.2% Vitamin C 361%
Calcium 44.9% Iron 129.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet