Mexican Hero Sandwiches
|Crusty sandwich rolls||4 (Olillos / Taleras , About 3 By 6 1/2 Inches)|
|Canned refried beans||15 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Red onion slices||6 , separated into rings (Thin Slices)|
|Firm ripe tomato||1⁄2 Pound, rinsed, cored, and thinly sliced (1 In Number)|
|Pickled jalapeno chilies||20 , drained and sliced (Jalapenos En Escabeche)|
|Finely shredded cabbage/Iceberg lettuce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Firm ripe avocado||1⁄2 Pound (1 In Number)|
1. Cut rolls in half horizontally. Pull out soft centers, making bread shells about 1/2 inch thick. Reserve soft bread for another use. Set rolls in a single layer on a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet.
2. Broil rolls about 4 inches from heat, turning once, until lightly toasted on both sides, about 3 minutes total.
3. Meanwhile, scoop beans into a microwave-safe bowl; cover. Heat in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until hot, about 2 minutes; stir at least once.
4. Spread refried beans equally on cut sides of each roll section. In bottom section of each roll, tuck equal portions of the filling, onion, tomato, chilies, and cabbage. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Cut avocado in half lengthwise; discard pit. With a large spoon, scoop avocado from shell (or pull off peel), chopping slightly. Place equal portions of avocado on cut sides of the roll tops and spread to cover; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Set tops, avocado down, on sandwich bases. Press down to secure filling.