Savory Chicken Tamales
|Dried corn husks||70|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoons)|
|Chopped white onion||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Sesame seeds||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Canned whole peeled tomatoes||1 Pound, undrained, coarsely chopped (1 Can, 450 Grams)|
|Canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce||7 Ounce (1 Can, 200 Grams)|
|Water||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Broiler-fryer chicken||3 Pound, cut up (1350 Grams)|
|Lard/Vegetable shortening||250 Milliliter (1 Cup, At Room Temperature)|
|Masa harina||750 Milliliter (3 Cups)|
|Chicken stock/Chicken broth||500 Milliliter (1 3/4 To 2 Cups, Warm)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
1. Place corn husks in large pot; add very hot water to cover. Top husks with plate and heavy jar to keep submerged. Let stand at least 3 hours or overnight.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) lard in deep 10-inch (25-cm) skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and sesame seeds; saute until onion is soft and seeds are golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and garlic; add tomatoes, chilies and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water.
3. Add chicken to skillet; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt. Heat over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until chicken is very tender, about 1 hour. Remove chicken with tongs to plate; let stand until cool enough to handle.
4. Skim and discard fat from tomato mixture; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 3 cups (750 mL), 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to blender container; process until smooth.
5. Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken; cut into 3/8- to 1/2 -inch (1- to 1.3-cm) cubes.
6. Drain com husks; rinse and rub each husk under running water to remove any silk and debris. Drain well; pat dry. Wrap in towel to keep pliable.
7. Beat 1 cup (250 mL) lard in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy, 5 to 10 minutes. Beat in masa harina, 1/4 cup (60 mL) at a time; beat until thoroughly blended. Beat in remaining 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt. Gradually beat in stock, using just as much needed to form dough that just holds together.
8. For each tamale, spread heaping tablespoon dough in center of 1 corn husk to form 3-inch (8-cm) square. Top with about 2 teaspoons (10 mL) tomato mixture and 4 to 6 chicken cubes.
9. Fold right, then left edges of husk over filling. Fold wide end of husk over filled area; fold pointed end over and tuck into center of folded wide end. Turn tamale seam-side-down. Make 50 tamales in all.
10. Line large steamer basket with remaining corn husks. Stack tamales in basket, seam-sides-down. Cover tamales with kitchen towel.
11. Place steamer basket over 3 to 4 inches (8 to 10 cm) boiling water; cover with lid. Adjust heat to maintain gentle boil. Steam tamales about 40 minutes. Remove 1 tamale from center of basket and carefully unwrap; if dough pulls easily away from husk, it is done. If necessary, steam 5 or 10 minutes longer and test again.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6034 Calories from Fat 3482
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 390 g599.4%
Saturated Fat 134.1 g670.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3846.2 mg1282.1%
Sodium 8056.3 mg335.7%
Total Carbohydrates 335 g111.6%
Dietary Fiber 25.2 g100.6%
Sugars 27.7 g
Protein 299 g598.5%
Vitamin A 2464.4% Vitamin C 437.3%
Calcium 236.2% Iron 570.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet