|Orange coconut filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||375 Milliliter (1 1/2 Cup)|
|Sugar||52 Milliliter (3 1/2 Cup)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (7 Milliliter)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2 Milliliter)|
|Butter/Margarine||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup, Cold)|
|Lard/Vegetable shortening||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon, Cold)|
|Cold water||52 Milliliter (3 1/2 Tablespoon)|
|Milk||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
1. Prepare Orange-Coconut Filling.
2. Mix flour, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter and lard with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon (15 mL) cold water at a time over flour mixture, stirring and tossing lightly with fork, just until dough clings together. Shape dough into 1-inch (2.5-cm) thick circle.
4. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8 -inch (3-mm) thickness. Cut dough into circles using 3 1/2-inch (8.5-cm) round cutter. Gather trimmings into ball; reroll and cut out additional circles.
5. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place 1 teaspoon (5 mL) Orange-Coconut Filling on bottom half of each circle, leaving 1/2 inch (1.3-cm) edge uncovered. Brush edges lightly with water. Fold top half of dough over filling; press edges together with fork to seal.
6. Arrange empanadas 2 inches (5 cm) apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with milk; sprinkle lightly with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 mL) sugar.
7. Bake empanadas until light brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.