Christmas Chicken Tamales
|Chicken breast||10 Pound|
|Chicken boullion||2 Tablespoon|
|Green salsa||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Green hatch chiles||1 Can (10 oz), sliced|
|Masa||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Crisco||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
1. In a large pot, cook the chicken by boiling it in water along with 2 tablespoons of chicken bouillon, until chicken is tender.
2. Drain the chicken breast and reserve the water for mixing it with Masa.
3. Allow the chicken to cool and shred it thinly.
4. In a bowl, mix green salsa sauce with chicken and set aside.
5. Soak corn husks in hot water for a couple of minutes and then dry.
6. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for masa and beat with a mixer until combined and easily spreadable.
7. Place soaked corn husks, smooth side up, and use 1/3 cup of masa and spread on the top half of each husk. Leave a little space at the top to fold.
8. Place a strip of green chili on top of the masa and then about a tablespoon of chicken mixture.
9. Fold up and tie with a strip of corn husk if you wish.
10. In a large pot, fill about 2 inches of water and place a rack.
11. Stand the tamales in steamer basket, not too tightly, place the basket in pot and allow to steam for 110 minutes to 2 hours, until masa sets, add more water in steamer is needed with cooking.
12.Take the tamales out and cool on paper towels and pat dry them.
13. Serve hot with salsa or hot sauce as desired.
You can also cook this in pressure cooker bring cooker up to pressure and then turned down to medium high for 15-20 minutes, turn the heat off and allow cold water to run over the cooker.
To store, dry and cool the tamales completely, and place it in plastic bag and freeze if desired.
Calories 641 Calories from Fat 185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g22.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 175.4 mg58.5%
Sodium 1341 mg55.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 4 g15.9%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 76 g152.5%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 57.7%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 25.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet