This is sweetbreads! A rather posh dish that is served in the finest restaurants! Sweetbread recipes are not to prevalent here in the states but they are delicious and they can be prepared so many ways! Try this recipe or any sweetbread recipes and I am sure you will fall in love with sweetbreads
1 1⁄2 Pound
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
1 Tablespoon (For sweetened sauce)
Dry white wine
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
8 Ounce, sliced
1 , finely minced
2 Clove (10 gm), finely minced
1. Rinse sweetbreads in cold water to clean them.
2. Now put a quart of water and put into a large bowl.
3. Add some salt and lemon juice and stir to dissolve the salt.
4. Add the sweetbreads to the acidulated water and put in refrigerator for 24 hrs.
5. Remove the sweetbreads from the acidulated water and set aside.
6. Pour a quart of cold water to a sauce pot/pan.
7. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic granules and onion powder to water and stir to create bouillon.
8. Add sweetbreads to water and bring to boil then quickly reduce to a gentle rolling simmer.
9. Now poach/blanch the sweetbreads for 15 minutes.
10.After the blanching remove sweetbreads and put into a large bowl of ice cold water for 10 minutes.
11.Remove sweetbreads from the ice cold water and remove the membranes using knife or scissors.
12.Now take the two baking sheets out, put one baking sheet down and put lint free dry towel on top of baking sheet.
13.Add your sweetbreads on top of towel.
14.Now put second baking dish on top of towel and weigh it down with something and put sweetbreads in refrigerator for 24 hours.
15.Add olive oil to pan and equal amount of butter and melt it down.
16.Put your sweetbreads into skillet and saute on low heat.
17.Cook sweetbreads one side until nutty brown for 6 minutes and flip them over.
18.Season with fresh ground black pepper to each side of cooking sweetbreads and remove sweetbreads and set aside.
19.Now add your bacon, garlic and shallot to the fat in your skillet and saute until starting to brown.
20. Add the canned mushrooms now and stir all together and flour to the skillet when the mushrooms are cooked.
21.Once the flour has cooked and there are some more brown bits in the pan deglaze pan with white wine.
Reduce down a little bit and then pour the chicken stock.
22.Add lemon juice and mix in well and reintroduce the sweetbreads to the skillet.
23.Cook for 5 minutes with cover off.
24. Now plate up and enjoy these lovely sweetbreads.