Greek National Foods
While Moussaka is the national dish of Greece, there are other regional Greek foods that have become popular worldwide and feature in the list of Greek national foods.
Greek cuisine shares flavors, ingredients and cooking styles with foods of other Mediterranean.countries.
Most Popular Greek National Foods
1. Moussaka This Greek national dish is still made from recipes handed down from generation to generation. A traditional Greek moussaka is a delightful three layered, oven baked casserole of eggplant, ground beef, onions, tomatoes, spices and béchamel sauce. There are other variations using as zucchini or rice, but the melitzánes moussaká is by far the most popular Greek dish. The papoutsákia is a variant of the same dish, with the meat and custard layered inside hollowed, sauteéd eggplants.
2. Fasolada or fasoulada is a Greek soup or stew of dry white beans, olive oil, and vegetables and is a traditional "Greek national food" served with a variety of side dishes.
3. Tzatziki, tzadziki,or tsatsiki is a Greek meze or appetizer, also used as a sauce for Souvlaki and Gyros, made of sheep or goat milk yogurt and cucumbers flavored with garlic and pepper, lemon juice and olive oil and always served cold.
4. Souvlaki or souvlakia is a popular Greek national food similar to the shish kabob. It is Greek fast food consisting of any meat (lamb, chicken, pork, swordfish, shrimp) and vegetables grilled on a skewer. It is eaten as an appetizer or as a main with potatoes or used in pita sandwiches with sauces and toppings.
5. Gyro is a Greek national dish of meat roasted on a vertical spit, which is sliced and wrapped in pita with tomato and onions and served as a sandwich with various sauces.
7. Stifado which is a rabbit or hare stew with pearl onions, vinegar, red wine and cinnamon. Beef is often used as a substitute for game.
8. Pastitsio or Pastichio, is the Greek version of the Italian Lasagna.
9. Baked lamb with potatoes is one of the most common Greek dishes with many variations and additional ingredients like Kleftiko which is slow cooked lamb on the bone
10. Amygdalotá or Pasteli and Loukoumi are Greek confections considered wedding and baptismal desserts.
These are some of the most common Greek national foods that represent the cuisine of the country. However the culinary traditions of various regions within the country have many differences making it difficult to present a full list of representative dishes.
Image Courtesy - en.wikipedia.org