Holiday Brunch Ideas During Hanukkah
There is nothing more welcome than celebrating Hanukkah- the festival of lights, to light up the Jewish holiday, with classic food items. The right food will simply add to the festive spirit. How about holiday brunch ideas during Hanukkah?A celebration to commemorate the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem, the eight-day period of Hanukkah is festive in all aspects. And the right food will be able to keep the tempo vibrant and colorful.
Let’s explore some holiday brunch ideas during Hanukkah
Latkas: Latkas or foods fried in oil are the mainstay of any Hanukkah meal. Legend goes that the oil kept burning for the full eight-day period when the Maccabees sanctified and rededicated the holy temple of Jerusalem, which makes the use of oil symbolic during the festival time. This clearly makes latkas to top the holiday brunch ideas during Hanukkah.
1. Potato latkas : Fried potato pancakes made of potatoes, onions, eggs and pepper mixed in all-purpose flour and fried, with an outcome, that you couldn’t have thought of a better way to honor the festival of Hanukkah.
2. Zucchini Parmesan Latkas: Zucchini, russet potatoes, eggs, scallions, parmesan cheese, spiced up with garlic, pepper, parsley , made into patties and then deep-fried in peanut oil.You have a mélange of ingredients serving your palate on a platter.
3. Multi-colored vegetable latkas: Give a boost to the potato quotient and make it more colorful by adding carrots and zucchini to the batter prepared for potato latkas, and well, your wish of making the festival burning with colorful lights will be granted as a colorful holiday brunch idea for Hanukkah.
4. Latkas with apple sauce : All the above daintily prepared latkas can be sided with apple sauce (made of tart apples, cinnamon sugar, a bit of lemon and sugar) to deliver a sweet ‘n’ sour dip that really serves well the taste of honorable Hanukkah dishes.
•Crockpot beef brisket: Crockpot for cooking beef brisket- there is no better way to tenderize the beef and give an irresistible flavor. In a base of onions, with the beef brisket(beef sauced up in a mix of red-wine vinegar, brown sugar, and ketchup ) topped by garlic. You have the spice seeping through the brisket in layers, which gets slow-cooked in the crock-pot. Beef briskets are a topping holiday brunch idea during Hanukkah.
• Jelly doughnuts : The crowning glory of your holiday brunch ideas for Hanukkah. A fitting dessert, these doughnuts using ingredients such as, ground nutmeg, vegetable shortening, egg, and jelly of any flavor…the doughnut is all set to leave you lip-smacking of the festive food-delight .
• Vegetable and greens salad : Beets, carrots and cucumbers with the lettuce family-the romaine, butter and red, to contribute to the leafy parts of the salad, with Belgian endive in a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice…salad to crunch upon adding variety to the festive mood.
• Rugulah: Pastries in different fillings from a wide range of nuts and dry-fruits .Almonds, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, chocolate, apricot preserves). No Hanukkah dining is complete without Rugulah
•Almond sponge cake with raspberry sauce : Eggs(yolk and white separated), slivered almonds, with a pinch of salt and a bit of brandy and other ingredients… This amazing almond bake served with raspberry sauce will give you the delight of savoring a dessert with the flavor of almonds as rich as the sanctity of rededication – a topping holiday brunch idea during Hanukkah as a fulfilling dessert.
Food is the soul of any festival which renders the spirit to celebrate it with gusto and,holiday brunch ideas during Hanukkah truly celebrates the tradition which persevered to preserve and light up the sanctity of the Temple, and pass on the legacy as Hanukkah.
Photo courtesy: walnutinfo.com