This chicken roll is so versatile, it can be served as an appetizer or a main dish. It is served often in the meza/appetizer part of the meal. The rolls can be made in advance and baked right before serving. The crunchy outside with the flavorful filling are eye opening and very filling.
3 Cup (48 tbs), cooked, shredded
2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced
Black pepper powder
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted
1 Pound (1 packet)
1. Preheated oven at 400 degrees F.
2. Shred the cooked chicken and set aside.
3. In a sauce pan add olive oil and onions and cook on medium heat.
4. Add chicken to onions (add salt if chicken is not salted), cook for 5 minutes or until lightly brown.
5. Remove from heat and add sumac, paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
6. Lay out 1 layer of phyllo dough and cut into 8 x 10 inch size, brush with butter.
7. Add 2 tbs chicken to 1 sheet of phyllo dough, fold in sides and roll. Repeat until all chicken is done.
8. Place rolls open end down in a pan and brush with butter on top.
9. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
10. In a serving platter, arrange the wraps and serve as a appetizer with dip of choice or as a main dish.
For those who are fond of Mediterranean dishes, here is a fantastic video for Mediterranean-style chicken phyllo wraps. The chef here bakes them as a healthier option to the deep fried version. These are delicious all time favorite appetizers with a dipping sauce or just like that.