Mediterranean Stuffed Custard Pancakes
|For the batter|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the custard|
|Whole milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fat free milk/2% lactaid milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White bread||7 Medium, crust removed|
|Rose water||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange blossom water||1 Tablespoon|
|For the topping|
|Pistachio||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground|
|Simple syrup/Honey||1 Tablespoon|
1. CUSTARD: In a medium size pot pour whole milk, fat free milk, heavy cream, sugar and corn starch and heat, stirring.
2. Cut white bread into pieces and add to the pot and stir. Mix until custard begins to thicken, add rose and orange water and stir until custard is very thick. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
3. Set on counter top and let cool, stir every 15 minutes and after an hour cover with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
4. PANCAKE BATTER: In a bowl mix all ingredients and stir until well combined, let sit for 20 minutes.
5. Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter or until 3 inches in diameter.
6. Cook until bubbles cover the pancake and it is no longer wet, about 30 seconds; make sure bottom is golden brown color. Remove and place in a dish to cool,
7. Repeat this to make more pancakes until batter is over.
8. Take the custard from the refrigerator. Fill a plastic bag or piping bag with custard.
9. Pinch the pancakes together half way and pipe the custard into pancake pocket. Repeat this with all the pancakes.
10. Top with ground pistachio and refrigerate till served.
11. In a serving plate, serve the stuffed pancakes topped with simple syrup or honey as dessert.
Calories 450 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.6%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 42.9 mg14.3%
Sodium 241.5 mg10.1%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g19.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 16.6 g
Protein 13 g25.4%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 31.2% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet