Scrumptious Baklava Preparation Part 1
|Phyllo||1 Pound (1 Box)|
|Unsalted butter/Margarine / corn oil||1⁄2 Pound|
|Walnuts||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Breadcrumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||10 Gram (2 Sticks)|
|Juice of lemon||1 Tablespoon|
Baklava is a traditional Mediterranean sweet dish. Try this recipe for your home made baklava!
Directions for preparation:
• Mix the nuts, cinnamon, and cognac together in a blender. Once blended, put the mixture aside.
• Melt your butter in the microwave.
• Get out a large pan and a brush. Brush the bottom and sides of your pan with the melted butter.
• Remove the phyllo from the package, lay it flat on your counter top and cover the phyllo with a slightly damp cloth to keep it from drying out as you work.
• Place your first layer of phyllo on your pan and butter it. Repeat this 5 times.
• Once you have about 5 layers of phyllo, pour about a cup of your nut mixture over the phyllo.
• Place another layer of phyllo over the nuts and butter the sheet. Repeat this once more. If you like, you could crumple the phyllo rather than place it flat on the mixture, doing so will give your baklava a bit more body.
• Add another cup of your mixture over the phyllo. (Be sure to spread the nut mixture evenly).
• Add another two sheets of phyllo (be sure to butter each layer).
• Now add the rest of your mixture.
• Add another sheet of phyllo over the mixture and butter. Repeat until you have used up all your phyllo.
• Using your brush tuck in the edges of the phyllo into the pan.
• Butter the top layer of phyllo heavily.
• Before you put the baklava in the oven you need to cut it.
• The knife should only pierce the top layers of phyllo, (don’t cut all the way to the bottom).
• Cut the baklava into 3 strips and then cut horizontally across those strips. You should have squares.
• Now cut diagonal lines across the square to make diamond shaped pieces.
• Before you place the pan in the over sprinkle a little water over the phyllo.
• Bake the phyllo in the oven at 325 degrees for an hour.
• Once it is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
Directions for preparing the syrup:
• Mix the sugar, water, and honey together in a medium size saucepan.
• Add half a lemon (or orange), about 5-6 cloves, and 2 cinnamon sticks and bring it to a boil.
• Let it boil for about 15-20 minutes.
• To see if the syrup is ready you can test it by placing a small drop of the syrup on your stove-top and feel it with your finger. If it has a nice body to it, it’s ready.
• Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to help it stay nice and smooth after it cools down.
• Once the syrup has cooled down a little, pour it over the phyllo. Remember, either the phyllo or the syrup has to be cool. (If both are still hot, the baklava will be ruined).
• Let it sit for a few hours or preferably overnight, and serve!
For more information please visit:http://thursdayfordinner.com