Falafel sandwich makes a full meal, providing good protein, fiber, vegetables and, with the right kind of sauce, dairy. The trimming consist of pickled turnips, pickled cucumbers, chopped parsley, onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped romaine lettuce and red sumac are added to the sandwich. The usual sauce is made from tahini, with lemon juice and cumin added. Another sauce is made from yogurt, cumin and garlic.
Basic falafel recipes are similar, differing only with the spices that are used. Here is my recipe:
1 Pound, soaked overnight, drained
1 Large, chopped
2 Cup (32 tbs), minced
1 Cup (16 tbs), minced
1 Clove (5 gm), minced
Coriander seed powder
To Taste (Optional)
2 Cup (32 tbs) (For frying)
1. In a food processor, add the soaked and drained garbanzo, onion, parsley, cilantro. Process till coarsely ground.
2. Transfer them into a colander to drain off any excess liquid.
3. In a large bowl, put the garbanzo mixture. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne (if using), pepper, salt and baking powder.
4. Mix them with hands or spatula to combine well.
5. In a deep frying pan, heat vegetable oil.
6. Make patties using the falafel mold or a scoop or spoon.
7. Put them carefully in the hot oil and fry till brown on both sides.
8. Transfer them on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
9. In a serving plate, make pita sandwich with pita pockets, falafel and choice of vegetables. Serve fresh, or enjoy as it is.