An eggplant dish that you can enjoy hot or cold on any type of day.
3 Medium, divided (1 1/2- diced; 1 1/2- sliced)
1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced, sauteed
3 Medium, sliced
1 Large, sliced, roasted
2 Tablespoon (Optional)
1. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and broil them till golden brown. Set aside.
2. Prepare the other ingredients according to the list.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
4. In a deep baking dish, put tomatoes at the bottom in a layer.
5. Top it with sautéed sliced onions. Place the eggplant slices over it to form the 3rd layer.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh oregano and thyme.
7. Repeat the same layers from tomatoes. As the last layer along with the eggplant also place tomato slices and roasted bell pepper slices.
8. Sprinkle with feta cheese on top and place it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and refrigerate it after cooling till served.
10. In a serving plate, serve this dish either warm or cold garnished with more feta cheese. Traditionally Moussaka is served cold.
To make this dish vegan, omit the feta cheese.