Mediterranean Braised Chicken
|Pancetta slices||6 Medium, sliced|
|Chicken thigh/Chicken drumstick||5 Medium|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Medium, sliced|
|Bell pepper||1 Medium, sliced|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Tomato||4 Large, peeled, chopped|
|Rosemary sprig||1 Large, leaves removed (about 1 tablespoon)|
|Green olives||15 Medium, seeded, chopped|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
1. In a braising pan crisp the pancetta. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
3. Add to the pan and brown in the pancetta rendered fat. Brown evenly on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In the pot remove all but 2 tablespoon of the remaining fat.
5. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic.
6. Cook making sure the brown-bits from the bottom of the pan is scraped. Pour a little chicken stock to aid in the process.
7. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes until softened.
8. Add the chopped tomatoes and the rosemary leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 15 minutes.
9. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the olives and the cooked pancetta.
10. Pour the chicken stock and the wine. Bring pot to a boil, cover and reduce the heat.
11. Simmer for about 2 hours. Add extra salt and pepper if needed.
12. In a serving plate, serve the chicken with some mashed potatoes.
Calories 260 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.3%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g17.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 75 mg25%
Sodium 830.2 mg34.6%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 20 g40.6%
Vitamin A 27.7% Vitamin C 75.3%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 8.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet