Vegan Mediterranean Butter
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Roast the eggplant whole in a moderate hot oven or under the broiler, until skin is charred and soft to the touch, about 40 minutes.
2. Place in a plastic bag and let it cool.
3. Peel the skin and then mince the eggplant pulp finely.
4. In a large frying pan, sauté onion in oil until it is tender but not brown.
5. Add the eggplant pulp and tomato paste.
6. Sauté for another 15 minutes or until thick.
7. Take pan off the heat and add lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
8. Tip into a bowl and chill thoroughly to blend the flavors.
9. Pile in a chilled bowl and garnish with cucumber and lemon slice, if desired.
10. Serve as a help-yourself spread, delicious on crackers.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 694 Calories from Fat 489
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55 g85.3%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g38.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 468.3 mg19.5%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 20.4 g81.6%
Sugars 23.9 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 22.9% Vitamin C 74.5%
Calcium 11% Iron 20.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet