Wild Fennel Crusted Salmon With Tomato
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Sliced fresh fennel bulb||1|
|Sliced onion||1 Small|
|Smashed garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Whole black peppercorns||6|
|White wine||150 Milliliter|
|Chicken stock||250 Milliliter|
|Tomato juice||150 Milliliter|
|Portions of salmon||2|
|Scrambled egg white||1|
|Bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh wild fennel||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Fresh black pepper||To Taste|
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small pot over medium heat.
2. Add the fennel, onion & garlic and cook 2-3 minutes without browning.
3. Add the white wine and let reduce by half.
4. Now, turn the oven on to 180° C (400° F) to get warmed-up.
5. Add the chicken stock to your pot, throw in the bay leaves and peppercorns. Lower the flame and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Add the tomato juice and keep the broth on a low flame.
7. Now - for the fish. Chop up the fresh fennel* and mix in with the breadcrumbs.
8. Season the fish on both sides with salt and fresh black pepper to suit your taste. Then bread the 'meat side' (the side which did not have the skin on it) by dipping it into the egg white, then pressing it into the breadcrumb mixture.
9. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. (A teflon pan is ok if you're concerned about sticking - just remember not to use any metal utensils in the pan & if the teflon coating is coming off buy a new pan!)
10. Tilt the pan away from you so that the oil rolls to the opposite side of the pan and gently place the salmon in the pan with the breading side down.
11. Cook for 3-4 minutes until you can see the edges of the crust getting nice and brown.
12. Gently turn the salmon over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
13. Now, remove the salmon from the pan onto a baking platter or sheet and slide it into the oven.
14. While the salmon is finishing in the oven, you can strain your tomato/fennel broth.
15. Adjust the seasoning of the broth with salt and pepper (I like to add a touch of anisette too).
16. I recommend another 3-4 minutes in the oven, although depending on the thickness of your fish and the degree of doneness you prefer this can alter.
17. I served my salmon with rice and sauteed spinach, although you could use risotto or fettuccini or whatever you prefer.
Calories 8594 Calories from Fat 2467
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 275 g422.7%
Saturated Fat 42.9 g214.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3539.6 mg1179.9%
Sodium 5245.7 mg218.6%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.7%
Dietary Fiber 25.8 g103.2%
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 1375 g2749.5%
Vitamin A 171.7% Vitamin C 72.7%
Calcium 161.6% Iron 361%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet