Mediterranean Braised Chicken Drumsticks
|Chicken drumstick||8 Large (you can also use any bone-in with skin chicken piece you like)|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Button mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic clove||10 Large|
|Tomato ketchup/Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Lemon||1 Large, sliced (for garnish) (Optional)|
1. In a large skillet/pan with a lid, heat a little olive oil.
2. Add the chicken and sprinkle a little salt over it. Brown the drumsticks nicely on all sides, until the skin is nice and crispy. This will take about 15 minutes. Turn the chicken after every 5 minutes and keep the pan covered while cooking as the juices and fat from the chicken does splatter.
3. Remove the drumsticks to a plate. Add a little more olive oil to the pan.
4. Add the onions, garlic cloves and mushrooms to the chicken drippings in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes on medium high heat until the onion is soft and brown.
5. Deglaze the pan by pouring in the chicken stock. Stir in the tomato ketchup/paste. Bring to a boil.
6. Let the chicken drumsticks return to the pan and get submerged in the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium low.
7. Cover the pan and braise the chicken slowly, for about 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is tender and coated with the sauce.
8. Arrange the drumsticks on a platter and pour the sauce with mushrooms and garlic on top.
9. Garnish with lemon slices if you like.
10. Serve accompanied with crusty bread, or with rice or paste if you like.
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 94
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16.1%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 116 mg38.7%
Sodium 843.5 mg35.1%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 36 g71%
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 49.4%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet